The People of The Scottish Civic Trust
Sir James Dunbar-Nasmith CBE
Born in 1927, Sir James Dunbar-Nasmith was educated at Winchester College and Trinity College, Cambridge, qualifying as an Architect in 1954. He is Chairman of The Scottish Civic Trust, a council member of Europa Nostra and a past Deputy Chairman of the Edinburgh International Festival. He is a past President of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland and has served on a number of official bodies connected with old buildings and the environment, including the Historic Buildings Council, the Ancient Monuments Board, the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, the Theatres Trust and the Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee. He was Founder and first Chairman of both the Edinburgh Old Town Association and the Theatre Workshop (Children's Theatre). He is Professor Emeritus of Heriot-Watt University and a Fellow of the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
In 1957, together with Graham Law, he founded the architectural partnership of Law & Dunbar-Nasmith and has been a full partner in the firm ever since. The firm is best known for its work in the Arts, including theatres and arts and for the restoration of important old buildings. It has offices in Edinburgh and Forres and in Wiesbaden, Germany
John Henry Atkinson Gerrard
John Gerrard was educated at Cambridge University, Department of Archtecture. His personal qualifications include, Masters of Arts (Cntab.), Diploma in Architedture (Edinburgh). He is also a Fellow of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland and the Royal Academy of Arts. He is Trustee of:
Scottish Historic Buildings Trust,
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust,
Glasgow West Conservation Trust,
Scottish Urban Archaeology Trust,
Scottish Churches Architectural Heritage Trust,
Church Buildings Renewal Trust,
Alexander Greek Thomson Trust Solway Heritage
He is also the Vice-President of the Architecturural Heritage Society of Scotland, the Chairman of the Scottish Viaduct Committee. He was also Secretary of State for Scotland's Working Group on Enviroment Education from 1991 to 1993.
John N. P. Ford
'A converted Englishman passionate in his support of Scotland,
who could never envisage living anywhere else,' is how John N. P. Ford, the Director,
Administration and Finance, of the Scottish Civic Trust describes himself. He was born in
Surbiton, Surrey, and educated at Tiffin School, Kingston-on-Thames.
In 1952, he joined Office Cleaning Services Limited in London and in 1960, moved to Glasgow to open the first branch in Scotland; something he did so successfully that by 1970 he was a Director of one of Office Cleaning Services' subsidiary companies and, with several more such directorships coming his way in the years ahead, by 1978 a Director of the main Board. By 1990, he was Chairman and Managing Director of Office Cleaning Services (Scotland) limited and Marketing Director nationwide of OCS Group limited, taking early retirement at the end of 1992, after 40 years service.
A Fellow of both the British Institute of Management and of the Institute of Directors, John Ford has involved himself with life at many levels, having been Secretary and Treasurer of The High School of Glasgow's Home and School Association from 1976 to 1980; Governor of Hutcheson's Education Trust since 1986; an Officer of The Order of St John and member of the Glasgow Committee of the Association since 1987; Deacon of the Incorporation of Masons in 1985 and Deacon Convener of The Trades House of Glasgow in 1991/2. He is also Chairman of The Glasgow panel of The Princes Scottish Youth Business Trust.
On top of all that, he has been involved in organising 'Clean Up Scotland' in conjunction with the 'Keep Scotland Beautiful' campaign, for which he was made the recipient of a Queen Mother's Award in 1992.